Wednesday 24 August 2016

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle


Elephant and Castle is probably the last place you’d call a foodie destination, but last night I found a reason to head to this forgotten bit of London’s zone 1. Elephant and Castle is now home to a Milan style food market called Mercato Metropolitano.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

Mercato Metropolitano is the brainchild of Andrea Rasca, a former economist who was looking for a change of career and felt the world needed more food. The new London foodie market is based off another Italian food market in Milan, which has proven quite popular indeed. I missed the one in Milan when I was there earlier this year, so all the more reason to head to Southwark and have a look.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

The market is not inside the shopping centre or near the Elephant & Castle market, which is probably a good thing. I know the area is supposed to be up and coming, but it hasn’t quite upped and come just yet. It’ a wee bit away from the tube and train station towards Borough, straddling the railway arches. It’s kind of made up of three parts; First there is the flowery courtyard, with tables and chairs strewn around and a handful of food trucks. Although the latter comprised a German sausage truck and a French food truck, the vibe was pretty Mediterranean. Or maybe it was the sultry English weather.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

On the other side, I found a supermarket stocked with all kinds of Italian goodies; think lots of bread, pasta, jars full of sauces, olives etc. There was a wall with wine bottles stacked to the ceiling and a deli counter with lots of anti-pasti on display.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

I walked into another outdoor space where punters were enjoying bright spritzes and bubbling proseccos. I headed to the covered sections where I found more stalls selling everything you could possibly think of. Pizzas, pastas, ice cream, mozzarella salads, basically all things Italian.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

There were some coffee vendors, bread stalls and vendors of the alcoholic kind.


I went back to the shop I found a pretty good deal; for 8 pounds I bought a glass of Italian chardonnay and 4 mini plates of anti-pasti. I had some salad with a spicy olive oil and balsamico dressing, meat balls with tomato sauce, grilled veggies and a piadino with cheese and ham.

Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle

I went back outside and found a spot at a table. I can wholeheartedly recommend this place, and even more if you love Italian food as much as I do.


4 comments:

  1. Ooh - this looks great! I haven't been to that area of London in a long while, so this is definitely an incentive to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Elephant and Castle really is up and coming. I know they say that about all areas in London, but this one is one to watch. I think. :-)

      Delete
  2. Funnily enough I went there today with Hand Luggage Only, loved the waffles and the wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't see the waffles. Must go back soon and find those.

      Delete