Sunday 7 August 2016

Ghanaian Food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen


Everyone knows Brixton is an ethnic bubble inside cosmopolitan London, so yesterday I headed out to Pop Brixton again to try some Ghanaian food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen. I'd spotted her eatery the last time I was there, but as I was kind of between meals, I'd promised myself to go back and try her food.

Zoe started out as a pop-up restaurant from the comfort of her own kitchen in Hackney Wick. She still takes her pop-up restaurants around the country and even the world and also organises cookery classes.

Ghanaian Food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen

Her fixed restaurant is in Brixton, in one of the shipping containers at Pop Brixton. It sits in one of the upstairs containers and has a small outdoor area as well. I found a table inside as London's balmy August weather was making me hot and bothered.

Ghanaian Food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen

Zoe herself was trying to stay cool as well for as much as that is possible when you're slaving away above hot stoves in a metal shipping container.

The menu is quite extensive for a small eatery but my eyes fell on the rump beef suya kebab also know in Ghana as Chichinga. They were a fiery bunch and sprinkled with some coriander and dried ground cassava.

Ghanaian Food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen


I also added a side of jolof rice, just because I love it so much. The food didn't disappoint and I really loved it. Although some of the beef was slightly on the chewy side, most of it was pretty succulent.

Ghanaian Food at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen

I did have some serious food envy, looking over at the table next to me, which does mean I will have to return and try some of the other dishes as well. Don't mind if I do.

Zoe's Ghana Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

6 comments:

  1. If it tastes as good as it looks then I am totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds great and what a great idea. Poor Zoe though, standing over a hot stove in this heat! The food looks amazing! I'd love to try some Ghanaian food sometime :) Yum! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the summer weather was getting a bit too much for her.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really cool option, although maybe I'll wait until the weather isn't quite so scorching before I venture there! Shouldn't have too long to wait... I've never had Ghanaian food or eaten in a shipping container before, so this would be a journey of discovery all around for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, You can sit outside also and find a spot in the shade somewhere.

      Delete