Wednesday 29 June 2016

Cities around the World I've Called Home


Home seems like the opposite of travel, but to me, home has been in a few fantastic cities around the world and has actually given me the opportunity to see a lot of places on this globe.

Brussels


The first city I lived in after leaving my parents' house was Brussels. I went to uni here for three years and although it is not my favourite of places, I did use my time there to discover Brussels' famous and not so famous sights. My favourite things to do were visiting the Art Nouveau Horta Museum, having drinks on the Grand Sablon square and shopping in the Avenue Louise.

Cities around the World I've Called Home

Paris


Even though I was only a Parisienne for 6 months, I managed to discover Paris the way only insiders do. I was an au pair near the Place Trocadero and this was my favourite spot to while away a few moments. The view of the Eiffel Tower is lovely from here. I loved wandering through the Marais and browsing the independent shops or sipping a coffee at one of the cafes surrounding Place des Vosges. Another great spot for chilling out in the spring sun was the Luxembourg Park, which was great for people watching too.

Cities around the World I've Called Home

Amsterdam


Amsterdam was the second city I lived in during my uni years. I loved cycling around the canals, having coffees at the brown cafes after class, browsing the Noordermarkt and the Albert Cuyp market and discovering the many museums like the Van Gogh Museum, The Rijksmuseum and the Anne Frank House.

Cities around the World I've Called Home

New York


I lived in NYC twice, once during an internship at the UN and a few years later I went back to work for a tour-operator as a holiday rep. I loved the buzz of Manhattan, but I noticed that I was always looking for a little bit of peace and quiet. The Village always felt a bit more relaxed as the buildings are not blocking out daylight as much as they do in Downtown and Midtown. Other favourites were Park Slope in Brooklyn, Astoria in Queens and City Island in the Bronx. My favourite museums were the Cloisters which consists of European medieval bits and pieces put together by an art collector. Another interesting place I loved visiting was the Dyckman Farmhouse Museum, a historic house from the Dutch colonial era.

Cities around the World I've Called Home

London


My current home is London and it has been for the last 13 years. I love the area where I live which is Battersea. It's got Battersea Park which is heaving with people soaking up the sun in summer, and Northcote Road near Clapham Junction is great for weekend brunches and browsing antiques. I'm so close to the shops on King's Road in Chelsea and the West end is only a 30 minute bike ride away too.

Cities around the World I've Called Home

These are five great cities I was lucky enough to call home as an adult, although some a little bit greater than others. I wonder what great city will be next.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, these are some amazing cities to have called home! What a list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, reading them back I realised that I've lived in some pretty damn cool cities.

      Delete
  2. I love all the cities on your list, with Paris and London being my faves. You're super lucky to have lived in New York, I've always wondered how it would be to live there as opposed to holidaying!

    Honey x The Girl Next Shore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me tell you, it is as fab as you think it is. I loved it and would go back in a second.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You're definitely well travelled. I've always been scared of leaving the UK and migrating to somewhere else, but after seeing your list, the jealousy has some what made me want to just get up and go.

    Aftab
    Fresh And Fearless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to just do it. It seems scary, but once you have done it, you will never regret taking the plunge.

      Delete
  4. What cool cities to have lived in already! Thanks for joining in the Linkup :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are lucky to have called home such great cities!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only really realised it once I had written this post. I am a truly lucky gal.

      Delete
  6. what a privilege to have lived in so many and such varied cities! where will you settle though, or is there another city after london?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now with Brexit? It will be very likely I will be leaving this country...

      Delete
  7. So jealous that you've been able to call all of these places home! How wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I have been very blessed to have lived in these places. All wonderful in their own way.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe how many cities you have lived in!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it kind a adds up I guess. Let's see what is next now with Brexit and all...

      Delete
  9. Such a great selection of cities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you're lucky to have lived in all these places! I adore Paris, and I love just wandering around, too. I've just come back from New York and I absolutely loved it, but I'm not sure I could live there. It's really quite manic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a super manic city and I think it is not for me either. Long term I mean.

      Delete