Tuesday 7 June 2016

Mauritian Food at Marcel and Sons


Last weekend my Sunday brunch looked and tasted a little bit more exotic than your average roast pork and Yorkshires. I actually had Mauritian food at Marcel and Sons in Elephant and Castle.


I don't venture to this area of London all that often, but apparently Elephant and Castle is the next up and coming area of London. I mean they even have their own little version of Box Park / Pop Brixton called The Artworks Elephant. It's a collection of shipping containers set around a little courtyard, which houses several cafes, eateries and other businesses. This also happened to be the location of Marcel and Sons.


Marcel and Sons is a tiny little hole in the wall, housed in a shipping container, of course.  There are some stools to eat inside, but the weather was awesome so we grabbed the table outside in the sun. I started with a drink called Alouda, which is a milky drink filled with gelatine bits, kind of like the ones you find in bubble tea. There are two flavours at Marcel and Sons; Rose water or vanilla. I opted for the slightly less sugar sweet sounding vanilla version.


The menu is short and sweet. You can choose from Bol Renverse which is a rice bowl with layers of chicken, shitake mushrooms a lovely Mauritian sauce and a fried egg on top. You can also opt for Bao Pao, which are steamed buns filled with beef, or steamed dumplings called Nouik Nian, which are filled with chayote, but I am not sure what that is.

They were lovely though as I ordered a portion of these as well as a Bol Renverse,which was really nice as well. The flavours reminded me a little bit of Indonesian food, which makes sense, since the guy serving us explained that the Mauritian cuisine was influenced by numerous different cultures and peoples. A bit of a mishmash, really, but a lovely mishmash nonetheless.


Marcel and Sons Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is your chance to try it! I'd never had it before either and it is lovely.

      Delete
  2. I've never had it either, but it does look delicious!
    How I wished I lived in London :/
    Great post!
    Sarah xxx
    www.whimsicalmumblings.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, London is so great for finding lots of ethnic food places.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to Elephant and Castle for ages. I'm tempted to go just for this food , it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is changing so much over there now. It is turning into quite the hipster area.

      Delete