Saturday 9 July 2016

Supper Club at Bert & May


The cool thing about supper clubs is that they sometimes take place in unusual locations. Last night I went to a Bert & May supper club that took place at their tile shop.


Eating dinner with fifty odd fellow diners in a tile shop is already pretty awesome, but what gave this event the extra wow factor was that Bert & May's stylish showroom is set right on the regent's canal up near Victoria park. Every month Bert & May host a supper club to showcase their new range of products.

Supper Club at Bert & May

After we arrived, my friend and I walked around the shop admiring the different styles of tiles while sipping a sherry and lemonade cocktail. (Apparently sherry is making a cocktail) There were so many lovely tiles, that I caught myself redesigning my bathroom in my head.


We walked out towards the canal side where the owner has moored his barge and we enjoyed the last bits of sunshine while gazpacho shots and stuffed mussels canapés were coming round.

Time to sit down. The tables were set with tableware made by a local artist and for sale at Bert @ May.

First course was a sea bass ceviche with julienned mango and crushes cashew nuts.


The main course was a paella with jumbo prawns, mussels and squid. Although the latter was missing from my portion, it was a good paella.


There were two choices of salads; a tomato salad and a flowery green salad.





For dessert we were served an orange polenta cake with dehydrated orange on top and an orange blossom cream on the side.




On the train back to battersea, with my belly full of amazing food my mind was going back to my imaginary newly tiled bathroom. Until I find that winning lottery ticket, I'm afraid that imaginary it will stay.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun dining experience and in a tile shop no less! I keep hearing about supper clubs but I've yet to try one - it's definitely on the list. I love the look of your flowery green salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really good fun and I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an usual location indeed. I never knew supper clubs were sometimes hosted in commercial premises outside of a restaurant setting. The starter and main are both right up my street. Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been to one hosted in a a butcher's, but never in a tile shop though. That was a first.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of a supper club but they sound like good fun although an all seafood menu wouldn't be great for me as I'm allergic to seafood. The flowery salad looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there are loads around here in London. It's a big hype at the moment and there are lots of supper clubs that serve other food too! :-)

      Delete